MBBS Full form is “Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery”
- 1 What is MBBS ?
- 2 Eligibility for MBBS Degree
- 3 MBBS Entrance Exams
- 4 Career options after MBBS
- 5 Some of the reputed Medical Colleges in India offering MBBS
- 6 Subjects in MBBS
- 7 MBBS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 7.1 Q. What is the full form of MBBS ?
- 7.2 Q. Is MBBS from a private college worth it?
- 7.3 Q. How to know the authenticity of an MBBS course in India?
- 7.4 Q. Can MBBS doctors do surgery?
- 7.5 Q. Can I do MBBS after 12th?
- 7.6 Q. Can we join MBBS without NEET?
- 7.7 Q. Which university is best for MBBS in India?
- 7.8 Q. What is the fees for MBBS in India?
- 7.9 Q. What is the total duration of MBBS degree course?
- 7.10 Q. Can one use “Dr” after completing MBBS?
- 8 Conclusion
What is MBBS ?
MBBS degree is an undergraduate course for candidates who have dream of becoming a doctor. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), is a professional degree in medical science. A person holding the MBBS degree becomes a certified medical practitioner to practice any kind of Medical practice all over the words .
The duration of MBBS course is five years and six months including one year of additional internship at various hospitals, health centres, and health camps organised by non-profit organisations (NGOs).
MBBS course syllabus includes studies on anatomy, pharmacology, pathology as well as community health & medicine, paediatrics, and surgery. The syllabus of MBBS , prescribed in such a way that MBBS degree holders candidate can choose a specialization for further majoring and practising medicine. The career specializations for MBBS students are Nephrology, Cardiology, Gynecology, Anesthesiology, Organ Transplant, Endocrine, and General Surgery, etc.
Eligibility for MBBS Degree
- The Candidates who have passed Class XII/higher secondary examination with Science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Biology are eligible for MBBS Degree
- They also must have studied English as the main subject in 10+2 for their qualifying examination.
- Moreover, Students also required to fulfill the age limit criteria i.e. they must have above 17 years of age at the time of admissions.
- There are additional eligibility conditions as mentioned by the regulatory authorities for MBBS i.e. Medical Council of India (MCI).
MBBS Entrance Exams
To get admission in MBBS course in India, a candidate required to appear for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). This is the only entrance test to get admission in MBBS course and is accepted by both government and private institutions.
In past Two other major entrance tests for admission to MBBS course in India were JIPMER MBBS Exam and AIIMS MBBS Exam. However, these examinations were scrapped in 2019 making NEET the most important medical entrance test in India.
Career options after MBBS
During one year of the MBBS internship, Candidate can work with hospitals and healthcare centres as consultants, physicians, medical assistants in critical care units, among others. They can also work in various health campaigns run by the state or center government and help the public with awareness about diseases, medicines, health and fitness through conferences.
After completion of the MBBS internship, candidate have to get themselves registered as doctors with the Medical Council of India (MCI). They have both option either apply for a post-graduate degree in medical science i.e. MD/MS or continue working in the health sector as qualified doctors.
While doing further education in medical science, an MBBS-degree holder can also link with pharmaceuticals as research associates. Moreover, the option for taking Combined Medical Services Examination is always open for an MBBS graduate. They can be employed with the central government as well as state government organisations, including hospitals, defence sector, railways, and with the local/state government.
Some of the reputed Medical Colleges in India offering MBBS
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
- JIPMER Medical College, Puducherry
- Lady Hardinge Medical College (MAMC), Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal
- Bangalore Medical College (BMC), Bangalore
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Ludhiana
Subjects in MBBS
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Dermatology & Venereology
- Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- Community Medicine
MBBS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is the full form of MBBS ?
A. MBBS Full form in India is ‘Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery’. However, MBBS is an abbreviation of Medicinae Baccalaureus Baccalaureus Chirurgiae, which is the term used for this course in Latin.
Q. Is MBBS from a private college worth it?
A. Yes, doing MBBS course from a private medical college will not affect your career in any way. The only disadvantage side of taking admission to a private medical college is the fees. The tuition fee other fee structure of a private medical college can be up to 10 times as compare to a government medical college .
Q. How to know the authenticity of an MBBS course in India?
A. Before taking admission to any medical college, check whether the college is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). Also, check if the college/ university is approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and Indian Medical Council (IMC).
Q. Can MBBS doctors do surgery?
A. Yes, an MBBS is a graduate in Surgery, hence, he/ she is licenced to practice surgeries. However, surgery is a complicated procedure and only those who have high expertise in this discipline opt to practice surgeries after completing MBBS.
Q. Can I do MBBS after 12th?
A. Yes, to join an MBBS course you need to complete 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. You must also secure a minimum aggregate of 50% in the core subjects (PCB) and you have to qualify NEET.
Q. Can we join MBBS without NEET?
A. No, to join the MBBS course you required to write the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). Even if you want to opt for a management quota seat, you have to secure the qualifying percentage in NEET.
Q. Which university is best for MBBS in India?
A. There are several of good universities for an MBBS course in India, but the best of the lot is AIIMS Delhi. A few other top institutes for the MBBS course are AFMC, CMC (Vellore), Maulana Azad Medical College and Lady Hardinge Medical College.
Q. What is the fees for MBBS in India?
A. Fees for an MBBS degree course varies for the institutes of different categories. Fee in a government college ranges between Rs 10000 – Rs 50000, whereas that of a private medical college, can start from Rs 2,00,000 and can go up to Rs 22,00,000.
Q. What is the total duration of MBBS degree course?
A. To complete the MBBS degree course, you need to complete two stages: 4.5 years of academics and 1 year of internship. Hence, the total duration of an MBBS degree course is 5.5 years.
Q. Can one use “Dr” after completing MBBS?
A. Yes, After you clear the final examination or qualifying examination of MBBS, you need to complete a compulsory internship of 1 year from a recognized institution/ hospital. On successful completion of the internship, you can officially add “Dr” to your name .
Hope all of your doubts related to MBBS full form and other comprehensive detail about MBBS would be cleared. If you have any other Doubts related to MBBS make sure to ask us in the Comment section. so the MBBS full form stand for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
Related article :-
- PhD Full Form , What is the Full form of Ph.d [ Brief detail ]
- ATM Full Form , What is the full form of ATM along with Brief Detail ?
- UPSC Full Form ,What is the full form of UPSC?
- SSC Full Form , What is the full form of SSC ?
- MLA Full Form, What is the Full form of MLA ?
- PWD Full form , What is the Full Form of PWD ?
- GIF Full Form , What is the Full form of GIF? What is GIF ?
- JPG/JPEG Full Form , What is the full form of JPG/JPEG ?
- ICU Full Form , What is the Full form of ICU ?What is ICU ?
- Full form of COVID-19 , What is COVID-19 Stand for ?
- Full form of SARS , What is the Full form of SARS [What is the meaning of SARS